Tuesday 16 October 2012

JOUR1111 - Lecture 10


Listening To: Everybody Knows - John Legend
My Mood:


This lecture reinforced my view that investigative journalism is essential in providing a voice to those without one. As I already do an investigative journalism course (JOUR1710) I thought I already knew everything there was to know about this particular area. Surprisingly, whether it has anything to do with my lack of attention in JOUR1710 or not, I learned a few new things.

“Isn’t all journalism meant to involve questioning investigation of facts and opinions presented to us?”
           
         - Ross Coulthart

When writing we should always analyse and be sceptical of every piece of information in order to ensure the quality of our work. I also learnt that there has been less investigative journalism in recent years due to the development of online news. And with the rise of social networking, it appears that it shall soon fill the investigative gap.

I also learnt about the “IN’s” of investigative journalism, an ideal that I had never heard of before;
INtelligent
INformed
INtuitive
INside
INvest

The most interesting segment of the lecture though, was the investigative journalism trailblazers. It is fascinating to see how long investigative journalism has actually been around for and what kind of an impact there reports had on the community, and the world.

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment