Wednesday 19 September 2012

JOUR 1111 - Lecture 8

Listening To: "Made of Stone" - Matt Corby
My Mood: 

This week we had a guest lecturer, Donna Meiklejohn, who spoke to us about ethics in journalism. Now, it is not a common conception that journalist actually have a code of ethics, little alone that they actually follow it. It was just yesterday that I started thinking about the ethical code of journalism, when somebody in my COMU1000 tute said that journalists in fact have no code. Well, IN FACT, they do. 

So, as journalists are  already scrutinised for having bad journalistic practices, we must avoid this and apply the principals of the code of ethics to our work. These include the three ethical theories; Deontology, Consequentialism and Virtue. 

We also looked at ethics in advertising, and although I wouldn't say I was an unethical person, none of these advertisements were in anyway offensive. They were either clever, or something I couldn't be bothered with. I did notice, however, that different generations have different codes of ethics. Our guest lecturer seemed to be more offended by the advertisements than we were, or more concerned that we would be offended by them than we actually were, and I would say most of our generation is not too uncomfortable saying the world 'penis' in front of people in their late teens and early 20's. 

It was very interesting though, to learn the importance of the fine line of ethics.
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment