Sunday 5 August 2012

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES


On the 21st of July, my friend took me to see The Dark Knight Rises in Gold Class. The whole ‘golden’ experience was great, perhaps not $40 worth of great, but if you have a free Tuesday you can enjoy it all for only $25.

Now, I had always enjoyed Christopher Nolan’s Batman films, I mean, the whole world enjoyed The Dark Knight, but I would not have considered myself a hardcore fan. I was more invested in the Marvel universe, partly due to the love of my life’s involvement with it, and also because the films were quality, all round entertainment (even those lacking Robert Downey Jr).


After reading all the articles Empire wrote in regards to The Dark Knight Rises, the question that everyone seemed to be asking was “How can it surpass The Dark Knight?”

In my opinion, it did more that surpass it. It totally and completely blew it out of the water.

The film, taking place eight years after the death of Harvey Dent and the consequent fall of Batman, introduces an array of new characters that Nolan manages to fit perfectly into Gotham’s universe. The acting was absolutely phenomenal. In the words of Nolan’s brother “Anne Hathaway threatens to steal the show”, and threaten she does, along with Joseph Gordon Levitt and Michael Caine. But it is Christian Bale's performance, in his last appearance as Bruce Wayne/Batman, which reminds us why he is the star of the show.


Anyway, I am not skilled enough to write a review that will bring this film justice, and the only way I can comprehend to explain it is ‘a rollercoaster of emotion’. The last half hour of the film saw me clutching me friends hand and sobbing uncontrollably; crying both tears of joy and despair. However it is the last ten minutes of the film, much like Up’s Carl and Ellie montage, that are its best ten minutes. It is a powerful and perfect ending to the trilogy, managing to give closure as well as leaving the viewer to ponder on what our favourite Gothamites might be up to now.

Here is Empire Magazines official review.

I have already managed to see The Dark Knight Rises three times, even with my *coughs* busy uni schedule. If you have yet to see it, YOU MUST. And trust me, to see this spectacle on the big screen is SO worth the $10.50 ticket.  

This is superhero filmmaking of an unprecedented scale. Rises may lack the surprise of Begins or the anarchy of Knight, but makes up for that in pure emotion. A fitting epitaph for the hero Gotham deserves.
Nev Pierce, Empire Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment